- About Us
- Contact Us
- About Us
- Contact Us
How to Qualify
Habitat homeownership is a partnership in which future homeowners and their families are involved in all aspects of our mission.
To qualify for homeownership, you must:
- Live or work for one year in Utah County.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Have the same source of income for at least six months (or show improvement of income)
- Earn 25%-60% of the Area Median Income. Refer to the chart below and match your total family income with the total number of family members to check your income eligibility.
- Less than 20% of your income goes to debt. Bankruptcy has to be resolved for at least 2 years.
- Currently live in substandard housing (water leaks, overcrowding, electrical or heating problems)
- Show a need, the ability to pay monthly house payment, and be willing to partner with the local Habitat affiliate. Sweat equity hours and down payment are required.
- You must attend an orientation session to fill out a program application.
- Sweat equity hours must be completed by house closing.
- Downpayment and closing costs must be provided by house closing.
- Size of house is determined by current size of family. We do not build for the future. We will consider current pregnancy and other relatives who will join you soon.
- We accept families who are on Section 8 Housing.
- We check the sexual offenders registry.
- We perform credit reports on all mortgage signers. You must sign a CR authorization.
- Houses can take 8 - 24 months to complete.
- Medical debt will be considered separately.
- Child Support counts as debt.
- Judgments: show completion or payoff arrangement. Must be completed by house closing.
- Social Security and Child Support count as income.
- Food stamps, welfare, and unemployment benefits do not count as income.
- If you wish to apply, you must attend the orientation session yourself. You cannot attend for someone else.
|Number of Family Members:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Earn at least:||$11,850||$13,525||$15,225||$16,900||$18,275||$19,625||$20,975||$22,325|
|Earn no more than:||$28,440||$32,460||$36,540||$40,560||$43,860||$47,100||$50,340||$53,580|
If you meet these qualifications and are interested in participating in our affordable homeownership program, please call (801) 344-8527 to have your name put on our orientation list. You will be notified when the next orientation will be held.
For additional information, please read our Future Homeowner FAQ,call (801) 344-8527 or look online at www.habitatuc.org.